Future development: Linux ?

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Hi All !

There was the statement - long time ago - that XCO will be probably run
with Linux. But, athough CCR became free, it is not open and even it may
run under Linux, this is a not too ignore risk. I see, at TU Wien, that a bechelor work is open, to port CCR ;-)

Probably, the appearance of "TPL DataFlow", which has a simlar
object, like CCRs Port [BufferBlock<T>], could make this easier.

I am just here to get more news ;-)

Thanks anyway,

++mabra
Feb 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Hi mabra,

Yes we have opened a bachelor topic for it a while ago :-)
Actually just a few days ago we got a student starting this topic, so we hope to see some progress in this area soon. I also did some spike solutions myself and with students in a practice course, and some interesting ideas came up for implementation. We definitely also want to take the TPL Dataflow into account, as it is in some way the predecessor of CCR, and as you say in some aspects easier to use (and, according to our tests, also potentially faster). Unfortunately it is missing some essential features of the CCR like causalities and concurrent/exclusive tasks, where especially for the latter it is hard to find an optimal solution. So I guess we are aiming for a combination of the best features of CCR and TPL Dataflow. It would be nice to be able to use Dataflow itself, but again this framework isn't available on all platforms.

Best regards
Thomas
May 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Edited May 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Hi !

Just informational hint, see this: Newly introduced assemblies (System.Net.Http, System.Threading.Tasks.Dataflow)

This is at about ~66% down the page. So, TPLDataFlow can be used platform independently :-(

Best regards,
++mabra

Note: On the pfxteam web there is a whitepaper to implement custom TPL DataFlow Blocks
May 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Hi mabra,

Yes I have also noticed that info. It would be great to be able to replace CCR with TPL Dataflow. But especially the missing support for Silverlight and mobile plattforms make it impossible right now.

Best Regards
Thomas